Saturday, April 28, 2012


Comparing the Potential of Renewable Energy Sources and Nuclear Energy Sources in India

In a recent announcement, Dr. Srikumar Banerjee, Director BARC, informed that a huge Uranium deposit was found in Andhra Pradesh  with Uranium reserves of 49,000 tonnes. This will boost the Uranium reserves in India to about 220,000 tonnes. This find comes at a time when nuclear energy is at the crossroads. On one hand, a massive 3-stage nuclear program is planned while protest against nuclear energy is getting louder after the accident at Fukushima. At the same time, there is a great push for the renewable energy sources. I have taken a stab at analyzing the potential in India of renewable energy sources and that of nuclear energy. Such a comparison will clear the perspective  about options to look forward to in the future.

Basis for Comparison

I will use energy units for comparing various sources of energy. The general practice has been to use power units for comparing energy sources. In my previous blog-post, I have written about the reason for using energy units.

No comments:

Post a Comment